Bourekas

I made bourekas over the weekend (just following the recipe linked) and they are absolutely delicious! They cook in about the same amount of time whether straight from the freezer or freshly put together. They are fabulous for breakfast and keep really well overnight. They are yummy and filling! The flaky outside and the softer inside really pair well together.

I followed this recipe, by Tori Avey which JP linked to me last weekend.

2 smaller potatoes (what I had around the house- it did make 1 cup mashed potatoes though!)
1/2 cup feta cheese (not pre-crumbled. This is a lot of what your bourekas are going to taste like)
1 egg
salt, pepper
2 sheets puff pastry

Bake the potatoes, cool them, and mash them. Mix with (self-crumbled) feta cheese, egg, and salt and pepper.

Roll out the puff pastry. (I had some trouble with the puff pastry. It didn't want to work with me frozen but as it started thawing it got very sticky very quickly. So my bourekas are rectangles (ish) not triangles). Divide into 9 pieces per sheet (so 18 pieces total) and put filling on each piece (I found I got the filling to puff pastry ratio more even by just filling them all before closing them up). Close up the puff pastry (I used a bit of water to get the edges to stick to each other and still had a bit of trouble!). Freeze any you don't want to cook soon to immediately.

Oil the cookie pan and put your bourekas on it (give them some space) and cook for ~35 minutes (or until golden brown). They are delicious piping hot as well as cold from the fridge (I made some the night before, wrapped them in aluminium foil, and had them for breakfast).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Stereotypical First Post

Cream Sauces

Banana-Egg Pancake